All the research carried out in our JDP will be inter-organisational. The research project associated with the Ph.D Thesis consists of a single project developed through the close collaboration of two institutions of the Consortium. This will imply that the supervisor and co-supervisor of the Thesis, who work in different institutions, will both be involved from the very beginning of the development of the project, all the way to its completion.
The research will not only be interorganisational in nature but it will also have an inter-sectorial impact. The interaction with other sectors in the domain of computational sciences and modelling will be systematically promoted, in particular in the areas of HPC, grid-computing and cloud-computing.
A series of regular events with two different characteristics will be organized in collaboration with CECAM (Centre Européen de Calcul Atomique et Moléculaire):
- Workshops, an effective way of addressing hot topics in TCCM research, dealing either with fundamental aspects or with timely applications. All TCCM doctoral candidates will be encouraged to participate in these forums of discussion, that will bring together specialists in the topic selected from the Institutions of the Consortium and from other European or non-European Universities or research Institutes.
International Schools, devoted to recent advances in TCCM methodology, or to timely applications in different domains of Chemistry, Physics, Biology or Material Science. The level of these courses will be suitable both for Ph.D. candidates and postdoctoral workers.
Cooperation with Large Networking Facilities, in particular those related with HPC, will be promoted by training activities with the network of European supercomputing centres (http://www.hpc-europa.org/). The training of doctoral candidates in the use of these HPC facilities will make them familiar with the use and development of parallel codes. TCCM-JD Consortium is particularly well prepared to provide our doctoral candidates with a good background in Grid-Computing, since one of the Institutions in the Consortium, the University of Perugia, has been a pioneer in the development of these techniques and their adaptation to specifically handling computational chemistry codes. This will open the opportunity to have fluid relationships with other Institutions, not only in Europe, but in other continents. We have the support of the EGI COMPCHEM virtual organization, HLRS (The High Performance Computing Center Stuttgart), CESCA (Supercomputing Centre of Catalonia), BSC (Barcelona Supercomputing Center), IGI (Italian Grid Infrastructure), SARA (Dutch National High Performance Computer Center).
Cooperation with the industrial sector: The Associated Partners involved in the TCCM JDP will be represented in its International Committee, participate in the research activities by hosting doctoral candidates for short periods of time, propose activities, programme upgrades, specific workshops and courses, and participate in the self-evaluation of the JDP, among other activities. Industries represented in the Consortium, are:
- IBM Research Zurich , whose mission is pursuing cutting-edge research for tomorrow’s information technology.
- MATGAS 2000 AIE, was created for the advance in the research and development of MATerials and GASes, for different applications.
- BASF, The Chemical Company, one of the leading chemical companies in the world, with a strong research activity which is frequently carried out in collaboration with Universities and Research Institutes.
- Master-up srl, a spinoff of the University of Perugia resulting from the gathering of experts in Molecular science and Computer science working in the area of design, production, marketing of products and innovative services associated with molecular simulations and modelling.
- Lilly, S.A., a global pharmaceutical company based in Indianapolis, USA, with major research centres worldwide, including Alcobendas, Madrid, Spain.
- IMEC, which performs world-leading research in nano-electronics and nano-technology
- DSM, a leader in life sciences and material sciences.
- Intelligent Pharma, leader company in the developing of new computational technologies for drug discovery.